The American Legion believes there is no better way to assure the survival of our republic than to train our young people in the ideals and objectives of American government. Through the Boys State program, The American Legion teaches youth to understand and appreciate the basic principles involved in the successful management of a democratic society, thereby allowing America to remain strong and ensure freedom for future generations. Our Delaware American Legion Boys State is a unique educational program that does not emphasize textbook learning. It focuses, instead, on participation and personal experience in a model state government, complete with governing bodies and elected public officials. The Boys State program mirrors the structure and operation Delaware's state government.
- A mock county council session for each county provided by each County Government
- Question and answer sessions with both elected, appointed,and hired county officials and staff.
- The students elect their own state officials who then get to shadow their counterparts for a day before actually preforming the duties of that office.
- Four mornings of a mock legislative session in the Delaware State House and Delaware State Senate Chambers.
- Four afternoons of classroom sessions of different aspects of state government given by those that actually preform those duties.
- A tour of Dover Air Force Base.
- Question and answer sessions with Delaware's Governor, US Senators, and other elected officials.
The legislative sessions are open to the public as are the sessions of the Delaware House and Senate
All applicants must be recommended by one of the following:
- An American Legion Post
- Student's High School
- A Military recruiter for one of the US Academies
- A Previous attendee
Further, all applicants must meet the following requirements:
- High School Junior boys in the upper third of their class
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Real interest in learning about government through practical application
- Able to attend the entire session from Sunday to Thursday.
- Able to stay in the dorm at Wesley College for the entire program.
Students who have received one of the above recommendations, meet the listed requirements, and want to attend, please contact the Boys State Chairman through our application process.
Email Completed Form to:
By March 30 of the current year
Or mail Form to:
Charles Michel, Boys State Chairman
8 John Andrew's Drive,
Harrington, DE 19952
Applicants will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and notified whether or not they have been accepted.